On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 10:53:04 PM UTC-4, Gaiko wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Gaiko Kyofusho <gaikokuji...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Unman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 06:13:46PM -0400, Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I looked up about host files, and found the
>
> > github.com/StevenBlack/hosts file which is handy but what I am still a bit
>
> > confused about is where to put it. The reason I assumed dom0 before was I
>
> > thought anything put in /etc/ would be erased on reboot which seems to be
>
> > happening, is there someway around this or perhaps I should be putting it
>
> > in the template?
>

> You can put the file in /rw/config, and then in /rw/config/rc.local
>
> include:
>
> cat /rw/config/hosts >> /etc/hosts
>
> Or you can use bind-dirs to make /etc/hosts survive a reboot.
>

> Thanks. I am not sure how to bind dirs but I understand putting the file in
> the config dir and cat'ing it into /etc/hosts... but since those are write
> protected dirs would the rc.local execute those commands as root (or su or
> sudo not sure about the terminology here)? I ask because when i try:
>

> source rc.localĀ
>

> it gives me permission denied errors, I tried adding "sudo" in front but that
> didn't seem to help?
>

> oops, sent prematurly. When I try to restart the vm, then go into the
> terminal and:
> less /etc/hosts
>

> it still seems to be the origonal and not updated hosts?

to filter http is a pain.  I use lists from iblocklist.com in peerguardian on
debian vm.  so you can use mouse to temp allow stuff sometimes. it blocks like
between 2 and 3 mil ip addresses.  only ipv4 though and probalby some overlap.
I disable ipv6 in grub.  but you have to not use the pc or have crazy
discipline.