On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 12:40:31 PM UTC-4, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 10:41 AM, cooloutac wrote:
>

>       On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:30:48 AM UTC-4, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
>

>         Ah the smell of disinformation.
>
> On 06/23/2017 10:28 AM, cooloutac wrote:
>

>           On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 6:51:27 PM UTC-4, tai...@gmx.com
> wrote:
>

>             On 06/21/2017 10:57 PM, cooloutac wrote:
>

>               I agree they are super overpriced  But i'm not sure we can have
> 100% libre hardware, at least not for desktops.  I heard the guy Chris from
> thinkpenguin talk about on a radio show once,  how there is really only a
> couple manufactures that dominate the world.  You would have to make every
> single part from scratch.
>
> I don't know anything about coreboot or libreboot. Though I know I'd actually
> would like to have secure boot,  but I guess I'm crazy.
>

>             Of course you can, see the TALOS project for libre
> hardware/firmware
> concepts and the KGPE-D16/KCMA-D8 for actual production libre firmware,
> there are some POWER computers as well.
>
> If someone tells you otherwise they don't know what they are talking
> about, there is nothing stopping a company from making a libre computer
> even a small company as long as they have the cash, purism could have
> they just didn't want to.
>
> Secure Boot is a marketing term for kernel code signing enforcement and
> grub already does this, MS "secure" (from you) boot is a way for them to
> eventually stop people from running linux.
>

>           I searched talos project and see stuff about body armor?
>

>         The TALOS project from raptor engineering was a 100% libre firmware
> and
> hardware PC project that did not meet crowdfunding goals.
>

>           The guy from think penguin who sells libre laptops doesn't know
> what he is  talking about? I agree he is a little extreme and paranoid,  but
> The radio show was focused on wireless devices at the time and the dangers of
> the fcc ruling to lock them,  and why purism, nor anybody, truly has a 100%
> libre machine.  There is many firmwares integrated and attached to a mobo,
> but you are acting as if there is only one.
>

>         Thinkpenguin and system76 are good honest companies FYI, I would
> suggest
> supporting them if you are interested in a new intel machine for linux.
> He is not extreme nor paranoid, the fcc thing could mean the end of open
> source linux drivers and firmware for wifi chips.
>
> There is not "many firmwares attached to a mobo" there really is only
> one most of the time, I know what I am talking about as I am involved in
> the coreboot project and I own several libre firmware machines.
> The KGPE-D16 and KCMA-D8 have full functionality with libre firmware and
> zero blobs, I even play the latest games on mine so that excuse from
> purism that "oh no one has this" doesn't fly moreso because they haven't
> even "struck a compromise for the latest hardware" or what not as again
> their "coreboot" has entirely blobbed hw init making it pointless.

> [...]

I like how on the novena site they say "This is not a machine for the faint of
heart. It’s an open source project, which means part of the joy – and
frustration – of the device is that it is continuously improving. "
improving....lol  To me thats common sense though so kudos to them for being
honest.   But its most likely headache city and I bet the processor runs linux
like crap. Using a machine like this probably defeats the purpose of security.

Privacy and security aren't the same thing,  and open source doesn't
automatically mean more secure.

 again it needs to be practical to sell.   something for cool tech experiments
but not for serious business won't sell as well.   assuming anything truly is
100% open source.    And you do know 100% open source is totally different
thing then 100% libre right?

What is SB 2.0 and SB 1.0?  And I don't know what you mean by the idea isn't to
stop the experts?  So experts won't be affected only noobs?    And who is
trying to stop them,  Microsoft or Redhat? You seem to not like either.  Right
now you should be thanking both of them for making computing exponentially more
secure.  haha  I for one would love to see a 100% libre machine but prefer
practicality, stability, and security rather then open source hardware for the
sake of having it in spite of everything else.