On 10/08/2017 05:24 AM, Sean Hunter wrote:

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 05:01:37PM -0400, taii...@gmx.com wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3anjgm/on_the_librem_laptop_purism_doesnt_believe_in/
Purism is a scam, don't buy from them - their laptops are as owner
controlled and freedom respecting as a dell - their version of coreboot is a
wrapper layer with all the hardware init done by a black box binary blob so
it is worthless.
I see that reddit post from 2 years ago referred to a lot, and I know this is
(for some reason) a very emotional topic.  However it doesn't seem to
correspond to what I see when I dig under the surface, which is the purism guys
merging changes into coreboot (eg
https://review.coreboot.org/#/q/status:mergbranch:master
topic:purism/librem13ed+project:coreboot+purism) and what I see on my own
laptop, which is that it is SeaBios + coreboot .  I doubt it is perfect, but it
is way better than a Dell.

If I look at https://puri.sm/faq/do-librem-devices-support-coreboot/ it says
that 13v2 and 15v3 (what I have) come with coreboot pre-installed and for
earlier versions they have instructions to update to coreboot.

Sean
You seem to not have noticed the second half of my email, or read the entirety of that threads topic post.

Their "coreboot" is simply a wrapper layer that performs no hardware init - everything is done by Intel's FSP binary blob making it pointless to have as all you do is move trust from vendor (quanta) to OEM (intel) - the whole point of coreboot is to avoid an OEM backdoor which this doesn't do so you are paying twice as much as dell for no real reason and supporting a company that has dishonest advertising.

It is as you say "an emotional topic" because not only do they steal money and fame from vendors that sell real libre hardware but they also have shills everywhere to put down their technically superior competitors and put pressure on the FSF to loosen the RYF standards.

There isn't any reason to buy purism's faux libre laptops instead of say a Lenovo G505S, which is actually owner controlled (open source hw init coreboot), supports qubes 4.0 and doesn't have a black box supervisor processor (ME/PSP)

If google can't convince intel to open source ME and FSP then no one can.