On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:51:54 AM UTC-8, Stumpy wrote:
> I have been reading through the forum about the various recommendations
> for hardware. The general consensus seems to be "more mem and ssd
> drive". I am running 3.2, have 16gb mem, and a Samsung ssd drive and it
> still takes 10 sec (timed it) to put up a terminal in a new vm. While I

i have much faster hardware, takes 11 seconds to start an appvm, and a new
terminal in it. 16 gigs is the sweet spot for most average uses. 8 gigs is
tight.

> can tolerate that I'm really wanting to explore options that can give me
> a faster start up for apps (and appvms). Its been awhile since I bought
> my CPU so I can't remember what it is beyond a i5, if the /proc/cpuinfo
> is right (its a bit confusing for me as I don't understand if its
> showing the nfo for the proc or a virtual proc?) then I have a Intel
> Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz and it displays for processor 0 and processor
> 1 so I will go out on a limb and assume its a dual core?

its a 4 core,4 thread.
https://ark.intel.com/products/75043/Intel-Core-i5-4570-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

this shows in /proc/cpuinfo in dom0 (qubes 4). appvms default to 2 virtual
cpus. thats what your seeing.

> Considering my current setup, and the fact that I wholly plan on
> upgrading to qubes v4 once its stable, and that I am willing to fork out
> for a new system (though with a pretty limited budget ~500) could anyone
> make suggestions on the most logical route to take? (hopefully not "grin
> and bear it").
> Cheers

wait till this speculative execution mess (meltdown, specter etc) is cleared up
before choosing or buying new hardware.

> PS I have 30 VMs BUT don't usually run more than 10 at a time (due to
> mem i guess) but would probably run about 15 regularly if I could.

16 gigs of ram should be ok for that, but id go for 32.