On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:20:16 PM UTC+1, lemond...@gmail.com wrote:
> Without support for hardware acceleration of virtual machines, plus needing
> specific hardware compatible with Qubes OS, what kinds of work do you get
> done if Qubes is your main OS on primary PC?
>
> I want to run Davinci Resolve, which is a video editor that runs on Linux,
> but it takes advantage of the discrete GPU, and it seems Qubes does not
> support hardware acceleration nor virtual machines.
>
> So, I'm curious, for those who use Qubes, what actual work do you get done?
>
> I've also tried playing youtube videos but found audio out of sync and I
> could not resize or maximize the playback window.
>
> I may have tried the second to latest version released so maybe things have
> changed or will change in 4.x?
>
> Not being able to run VMs, Davinci Resolve, or youtube are making me have to
> look at other options like OS X, Windows 10, and Linux.
>
> I was leaning towards OS X but enabling case sensitivity for the file system
> can break certain apps like those from Adobe, or cause other problems.. And I
> prefer linux/unix like command-lines to DOS, so kind of leaning away from
> Windows 10.
>
> That leaves Linux distros like Debian, Mint, e bv  But I'm wondering how
> secure it will be compared to Qubes?

As I perceive the current world, which I try to stay objective true to in an
attempt to avoid bias, is that Qubes OS is leaps ahead any other distro in
terms of security, for everyday use and convenience types of systems. You may
use Tails and the likes, however none come close to Qubes OS for everyday life
application uses, and even then, Qubes OS is really secure when compared to
those others niece uses like Tails. I don't think it's overestimating to say
Qubes OS simply has no current competition, it's leaps ahead any other system
out there, a very new way of thinking which no one else is applying. But this
is not my profession and I'm no expert, but I do follow what's going on in this
environment as much as I can as a regular normal user.

Many of your listed concerns are not a problem and can be fixed, except
discrete high-end GPU's, however something that is being worked regarding
exactly that issue. If successful, then you may very well see high-end discrete
graphics in Qubes sooner or later, maybe, if you're lucky, as soon as the next
4.1. But I'm neither an expert, nor an inside, nor has there been any official
messages about this, however if you go stalk public channels on github, you can
see some interesting proof of concepts being worked on for Qubes 4.1. discrete
graphics for a single AppVM only, which won't compromise security of the rest
of the system.

I've been using Qubes OS since well over 1½ year now, and I've used it for
pretty much everything, except high-end graphics related applications as you're
also asking about. But most normal use-cases and browsing needs for graphics
works just fine, you should not have issues with YouTube, it seems like you got
a bad codec though.

I know you're a Linux user, so I apologize if I write a bit condescending by
writing extra details below. I'm not, it's just the way I write, I apologize in
advance.

If you got issues with YouTube, try this, see if it works better for you, on
all my Qubes OS systems, at least YouTube runs smoothly.

First you might want to download fedora version 26 if you got 25 which is not
not updated anymore. There is an easy straight forward single command that will
do that for you, but it takes a while to download and install, since it's a
full OS in and on itself. Take a break while it runs, you won't have to do
anything in-between start-end.

in dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-26

Once you got it downloaded, installed, and it reported finished, then proceed
by opening the fedora-26 terminal, update it fully. Make sure it's shutdown
again once finished. Then you do;

In dom0 terminal: qvm-clone fedora-26 fedora-26-apps"
or whichever name you want to give your clone.

Then open up the fedora-26-apps terminal and type in;
sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-nonfree
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh

Now you can simply install FFmpeg (For HTML5 that for example allow firefox to
play HTML5 videos), VLC, and other useful playback and codecs from RPM-Fusion
in your template.

sudo dnf install FFmpeg
sudo dnf install vlc

Shutdown your new template, and then create a new AppVM based on it. Now you
should ab able to play any HTML5 content, try open Firefox and type in
www.youtube.com/html5 and see if everything looks like it should work.

Now protected content, such as HTML5 protected content, you will probably need
stuff like DRM. DRM sometimes work in firefox.

If you run into DRM, Silverlight (Pipe etc) issues, in terms of copyright
protection, then you can download Goolgle-Chrome from google's own website,
which should run most things without a trouble. If you dedicate a template for
Google-Chrome playing videos, then at least you limited your "trust" to google,
to only that template, and only those AppVM's based on that template.

Generally though, I can play everything in Firefox, no trouble, no lag, smooth,
even 4k videos on my 46" 4k TV that I run Qubes OS on. It just runs smooth, you
really have nothing to worry about here. Whatever issues you got with YouTube,
it should be possible to be fixed. Just be sure your hardware is strong enough,
but if it can play in other Linux or Windows, then it should be able to play on
Qubes OS too.

As for full-screen, there are multiple of ways to fix these. The reason you
don't get it out of the box, is due to security reasons which is Qubes OS's
first priority. Some may judge this is a minor security issue though, and in
the end of the day, if you bypass the full-screen limit, your Qubes OS system
is still vastly more secure than most other systems out there. A quick way to
bypass it, is if you use the default of the box XFCE4, then you can simply hold
down "alt key + space key" let go of both keys, and then just type the f key,
for full-screen. If you got another language than English, then you may have to
use your mouse or press F again to go down the appearing list on your screen.
There are other approaches, but this should get you started.

In short, Qubes OS is a new way of life when it comes to using a computer. It's
typically hard to adjust for most people, and it may take some days, weeks, or
even months, depending on what you were used to before getting on Qubes OS. But
I'm sure, you will find that Qubes OS can do pretty much most things you would
ever want it to do, and whatever it cannot do, is being worked on to allow it
to be able to do it.

Most important of all, the Qubes OS developers are very forward thinking,
unlike many other OS projects out there, which are very conservative, backward,
kind of thinking, always staying in their old paradigms. As such, they follow
an evolutionary pattern, Qubes on the other hand, follows a revolutionary
pattern of way of thinking. This means, Qubes OS is always pushing limits, they
want to break down limits, and do things which was not thought possible before.
Of course, all the while while keeping security as the top priority.

Now, again, I'm no expert, have no insider knowledge or anything, however this
is how I perceive the work being done here. Qubes OS is nothing short but
amazing, and I've never been happier with any other OS, than I am with Qubes OS.

There are issues, yes, and currently it's a bit messy to get Windows 7 running
on Qubes 4.0. which works on Qubes 3.2. But it might get fixed as there isn't
much to do, it just lacks a developer, but it looks like someone might pick it
considering the focus it's receiving at the moment. Win8 and Win10 won't run
with the Qubes-Tools yet due to their new touch-input and interface systems,
which needs extra development. But this too looks like some end-users who are
also developers, might look into. Eventually these things will likely get
fixed.

If you can install Adobe, i.e. on Windows or through Wine on Linux, then yes,
you can run it on Qubes. Just as long it won't need high-end graphics, which
won't work in Qubes 3.2. or Qubes 4.0. But fingers crossed for Qubes 4.1.,
however, don't get hopes up yet as it's early development, and no one has
promised anything, and it may very well be pushed to Qubes 5, Qubes 6, etc.
instead, but who knows, time will tell.