On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 1:20:24 PM UTC+1, snowbo...@gmail.com wrote:
> I feel like a total idiot here but here is what I am doing:
> 1) I make an HVM (tried both normal and template) and then assign more disk
> space to it.
> 2) I download the ubuntu iso file for desktop.
> 3) I run qvm-start ubuntu --cdrom=vmpath:/home/user/downloads/xxx.iso
> 4) I run the installation that surprisingly finishes ultra fast. There are
> two disks one is xvda and xvdb. The first has the space that VM has for
> "personal usage" and the second for "system". I tried installing on both with
> same result.
> 5) As the installation finishes when I shutdown the machine it doesn't
> shutdown. A black window keeps on. Then I kill it with Qubes-manager.
> 6) after that it doesn't start. It says booting from hard drive but nothing
> happens.
> I tried many times. What am I doing wrong?
> thanks in advance

Don't label yourself as an idiot. Although I'm not an expert, but your logical
approach seems pretty good to me, you try to find the reason and logic behind
it. No matter what, trying to solve it is a good logical quality.

As for why it doesn't work, it seems like a driver issue for graphics? You
could try change the AppVM's grub menu, and put a different graphic driver,
xdriver=vesa, nomodeset, or something along those lines. Vast topics can be
found on this issue, now that you can suspect graphiic issues, you can more
easily find these topics to try troubleshoot it if neither commands above work.

You can also try change the used kernel to '' blank, since Ubuntu custom
install without Qubes code, probably has no means to use its own kernel pulled
from dom0 kernels, and the Ubuntu kernel may try to boot up while the VM
kernel's located in dom0. As such, there may be a conflict here? I'm not sure
if this is what is happening, but you can try put the qvm-prefs for the kernel
in blank, install again and see what happens, it should allow Ubuntu to use its
own kernel, I believe.

btw, for what purposes are you getting Ubuntu? By any chance is it codecs? are
the other reasons? It may be more efficient to fix up Fedora or Debian, instead
of getting Ubuntu up and running. It's just that there are so many Ubuntu
questions lately, I'm a bit lost as to why people would want Ubuntu if they
installed Qubes OS. Qubes OS is a bit of a leap to jump from Ubuntu, Debian or
Fedora isn't that bad for next steps after Ubuntu, but Qubes OS may be a bit of
a leap in its current state.

The only real nice thing is the ease to install nvidia drivers, but that is
hardly something you will end up needing in Qubes anyway. Can I ask what you
need Ubuntu for? and perhaps if you desire to give it a shot for an
alternative, and try Fedora and Debian to get the tasks done you usually do on
Ubuntu? If you still feel like going for Ubuntu, then that's fine, I won't get
in the way for that.

As such, if keeping Ubuntu, fixing graphic drivers may be a good place to start