On 04/12/2018 08:01 AM, 799 wrote:

> having a reasonable secure OS and maybe some additional freedom by
> using Coreboot is great, but might not be enough.
>
> At least in Germany most home routers are not owned by the users
> but the internet providers, even worse it ia often not possible to
> upgrade the software as a user.

If the ISP provided router is a combined modem + router device: You
may able to setup it as a modem only (bridge mode) and use your own
router.

If the ISP providing a separate (cable) modem and router: You may be
able to simply replace the router with your own one.

If your connection is some legacy PPPoE one, line ISDN, ADSL, etc Your
private router can handle that for sure.

As a last resort: just put your router between the ISP provided device
and your real LAN.

> If I want to improve this situation, what do you think about
> librecmc (https://librecmc.org/faq.html), I have come across by
> accident?

In my case the ISP router is working as a cable modem only, and I'm
using LEDE/OpenWRT on my routers and WiFi ACs.

AFAIR the librecmc is just jet another fork of LEDE/OpenWRT.
and they promise to removing non-free parts.

In my opinion non-free is a legal definition, and there is no direct
relation to security and/or privacy.

If you really care, you may build your own firmware, and then you can
decide what to include...

- --
Zrubi