According to the LVM documentation, the thin pool will become read-only for
operations that require a change to metadata in the event of the metadata
volume becoming exhausted. It seems I was lucky enough to experience the
system failure prior to data loss occurring (although that would have cost
only another reinstall, as it was my second day using the new OS).