> > revert sys-net:private" for example.
>
> Will try that tonight.

Unfortunately, that was not possible for the service VMs.
For the only important AppVM that had -back and -back missing, the command
`qvm-block revert p-2018d:private` was enough.

> > > I remember there was some Saltstack magic to recreate the services vms,
> > > but could not find anything for R4.0... So I had to revert to R3.2 for
> > > the time being.
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/salt/
> > Especially links at the bottom:
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines/blob/master/README.rst
>
> Thanks. Will also try that tonight.

The way I recreated all sys-* service VMs was:

# You need to unset sys-firewall as netvm for AppVMs
# and unset sys-net as netvm for sys-firewall:
dom0$ qvm-prefs --set <qubes*> netvm ''
dom0$ qvm-prefs --set sys-firewall netvm ''

# The delete all service VMs qubes:
dom0$ qvm-remove sys-usb
dom0$ qvm-remove sys-firewall
dom0$ qvm-remove sys-net

# Make sure the right salt top files are enabled:
dom0$ sudo qubesctl top.enable qvm.sys-net
dom0$ sudo qubesctl top.enable qvm.sys-firewall
dom0$ sudo qubesctl top.enable qvm.sys-usb
dom0$ sudo qubesctl state.highstate

and that should be all. You have to restore 'sys-firewall' as netvm for all the
qubes you want networking and thing should be pretty much as they were after
install. Note that all new service VMs will have different IP address than
their deceased counterparts, but firewall would be able to cope with that.

Ah! The joy! Now back to R4.0 without massive reinstall.

Thanks Marek, awokd and techg...!