On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 08:19:10AM -0700, Pablo Di Noto wrote:
> > techg...@gmail.com
> > If, as I suspect, the root cause of your problem is a lack of metadata
> > space on pool00; you can confirm this by typing "sudo lvs" into a console.
> > You will then need to figure out a way to enlarge that metadata volume.
>
> Yes, you are right, the `pool00` volume metadata was >96% when this happened.
> The thing is that the volume metadata was set to a quite small size after
> install (96mb on a 46gb pool) and after install was on ~20% usage. I started
> to use the system, testing stuff with DispVMs, restoring my debian templates
> and some work VMs. After a couple of days of usage the metadata climbed very
> little, to 27-28%.
>
> I tried to have a second pool to hold my machines, precisely to avoid issues
> with thin provisioning on the pool holding `root` and `swap` and services
> vms. But the lack of support for cloning/moving between pools made that
> effort moot.
>
> So I `lvextend`ed `pool00` and forgot to properly enlarge it's
> `pool00_tmeta` counterpart.

What sizes you have there?
For me tmeta is 118MB for a ~450GB pool00. And after few months of usage
it's still at 33%...

> When doing some more customization, including restoring more larger sized
> qubes and cloning/renaming qubes it seems the metadata usage climbed really
> fast and hit this bug.
>
> Unfortunately, could not recover from that.
>
> It looks like qubes lvm actions while metadata was full may have corrupted
> the metadata somehow, since I could enlarge and repair the thin metadata from
> a live cd, but many of the volumes that where in use where never available
> again. The -private and -snap for the qubes that were running (not sure how
> to discard them) and also all the volumes of the qubes being restored and
> services vms are lost ("NOT available" as lvm status)

You could also try to revert to earlier revision using "qvm-volume
revert sys-net:private" for example.

> I remember there was some Saltstack magic to recreate the services vms, but
> could not find anything for R4.0... So I had to revert to R3.2 for the time
> being.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/salt/
Especially links at the bottom:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines/blob/master/README.rst

> I will keep the failing install for debugging, or may be able to recover if
> someone can provide any tips about:
>
> - How to recreate sys-net, sys-firewall and sys-usb on a R4.0 system
> - how to recover a qube whose -snap volumes are no longer available (I have
> no problem losing these short-term data)
>
> Thanks for pointing to the right direction!

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab