> Good, that should make the rest much easier. Are you logged in as root
> when you do this? (Your prompt should end with a "#"). If so, maybe all
> you need to do is reset the user passwd with "passwd user". Then reboot
> and try to login. If that works, make sure to backup your VMs.

No I have a $, but I logged in as root in "rescue qubes system" --> by
entering: chroot /mnt/sysimage then I changed my password, then reboot, but I'm
still stuck at the user-menu...

> > - to attach my external drive "SAMSUNG" to "archives"
> qvm-block to list, then qvm-block attach archives sys-usb:#.#
> Not sure how to figure out where it's mounted at this point. Anyone have a
> suggestion? You need to know to fill in /path/to/backupfileinbackupvm.

For that I've entered : qvm-device block attach archives dom0:sdb
but I don't know how to mount SAMSUNG within archives and then find the path..
I tried commands like:
qvm-run archives fdisk -l --> doesn't work
qvm-run archives mkdir --> here it stuck and the text becomes red...
qvm-run archives mnt --> here it stuck and the text becomes red...

> > - to backup my VMs into "SAMSUNG" via "archives" with the backup-tool of
> > Qubes Manager
> qvm-backup -d backup-vm /path/to/backupfileinbackupvm vmname1 vmname2 vmname3

Thanks! Before that the challenge is to mount the device in archives and find
the path...