> On Oct 1, 2018, at 3:18 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users
> <qubes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> 'Setherson' via qubes-users wrote on 9/30/18 2:12 AM:
>
>> I am using Qubes 3.2. All TemplateVMs and dom0 have been updated sometime
>> within the past week.
>>
>> Since about the same time, my Workstation TemplateVM and every AppVM based
>> on it has been unable to connect to the internet.
>>
>> The Whonix Gateway TemplateVM works fine, as does the sys-whonix NetVM.
>> Furthermore, all the AppVMs based on the Fedora and Debian templates work
>> even when routed through sys-whonix. I also have all the TemplateVMs set to
>> update through sys-whonix, and every one of them is able to do this with the
>> sole exception of whonix-ws-14. So if I had to guess, I’d say the problem
>> lies with the Whonix Workstation TemplateVM itself.
>>
>> When I try updating whonix-ws-14, it “hits” everything until the 10th
>> repository. Once it gets there, the screen shows “[working]” and stays there.
>>
>> Has anyone else run into this problem? What steps can I take to begin
>> troubleshooting it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> You might have caught a bad update last week, and it sounds like one of
> the repositories you're using is unavailable right now. You can try the
> suggestions in
> https://forums.whonix.org/t/errors-updating-september-2018/6028/8, or
> wait a day or so and try updating again.
>
> --

Thanks for the link! I did what they advised and the Workstation-14 TemplateVM
seems to have updated fine.

However, the most serious issues remain.

I am still unable to access the internet from any of my Workstation-based
AppVMs. Here’s what happens:

When I first open the Tor Browser, I receive a warning that my activities may
be linked if the Tor Browser is already running. I have gotten this sort of
warning in the past when I already have an instance of the TB running, but
that’s not the case here.

I click “yes” to get rid of the warning box and the Tor Browser proceeds to
open. The first sign that something is (still) not right is that it’s unable to
find the local Whonix splash page file that always pops up when the browser
first starts. Weird, but certainly not a huge issue.

Then, when I try to do a random search (I use DDG’s Onion service to conduct
searches), I’m told that the server has reloaded while the request was being
made (or something to that effect; it’s a super-common error message). Whatever
the cause may be, the result is that I’m unable to visit any website; Google,
DDG Onion, DDG Clearnet, and so on all give me the same error.

It occurred to me that this might be a Tor Browser problem, so I opened up the
Electrum bitcoin client in the same AppVM to see if that works. Unfortunately,
Electrum doesn’t connect either.

Then—again in the same AppVM—I open up konsole and ping google (both google.com
and 8.8.8.8): Interestingly, when I ping google.com the terminal shows me the
site’s corresponding numerical IPv4 address, so there must be some sort of DNS
access, right? Anyway, aside from seeing the IPv4 address I get no feedback
whatsoever for the next 20-30 seconds, so I finally Ctrl-C the process and see
a packet loss of 100%.

Finally, I open Firefox in my “Untrusted” AppVM, which uses Fedora 28 as its
template and sys-whonix as its NetVM. It takes me to Google without a hitch.

Any ideas? Is this just a bad update I’m going to have to wait out, or are
there steps I can take to remedy the situation in the meantime?