I trust Whonix  the same as I trust Qubes and TAILS, or Debian, Fedora, Xen. I
don't have enough intelligence, that would convince me otherwise. And I do
research quite often when periodically adjusting my FMECA. Which is just a
professional deformation.
Every project, however secret, secure, top notch it seems to be, is vulnerable
this or that way, and will always remain so. Some of the attacks are common,
some are specific. Once old attacks are covered, new emerge. That is life.
Disregard a project, only because one of the emerging attacks, is pathetic (I
know not your case, you have different reasons mentioned), as this attack
(ausie law like, or malicious dev) is possible for every other project too,
including your refrigerator, assembled on the production line with malicious
guy, willing to do evil. Living somewhere in cave is not a solution.

Interestingly I don't have much problem with Whonix in Qubes, and I like it
very much. Working very well. I use it on daily basis as my primary template in
Qubes, for my company management, email, chat, browsing, research, and
privately as well, because I believe that anonymity is a very strong security
attitude to thread mitigation, even I understand well the limitations of Tor
and Whonix as well. They are clear about what they can do and what not. Are
they a magical wand, solving all problems of the world? No, and they don't
claim that.
Most of the time I try to prefer connections to .onion websites rather than
clearnet, because I don't see any benefit from exposing myself to surveillance
capitalism. I like v3 onions, and prefer to use it wherever possible. I love to
see myself as a person, not as a product. When chatting on XMPP with OTR I use
.onion server for my identity and ask the other site to do the same, as I don't
see any benefit using clernet server. Tor allows me to mitigate some risks, and
of course opening me to another ones. This comparison is still putting the
weight *for-tor-whonix-in-qubes*. Others may have it different, depending on
ones OPSEC and ones willingness to give his/her life away for free to any
random observer.

I hope Whonix will go on further with their excellent job, same as Qubes or
TAILS or Torproject.

I would just stress out the importance to include the high-risk, high-impact
emerging threads into their thread model and try to mitigate these risks same
way, as other risks included there already - recognized. If you set up your
bullet-proof environment and than by crossing a nation border just breaks it
down by one simple question of the officer, than resistance of your security
setup is extremely weak and breakable any time. More and more states will go on
with this attacks in the near future. Australia is only the first one to make
it so clear. There are tools and ways available for mitigation, for Plausible
Deniability for example, like Hidden Operating System, Hidden Volumes, but are
not included in the standard package of the projects yet. If I was a
programmer, I would sure contribute, but I am not. And so the only point is to
mention it, and try to stress it enough, to motivate people with skill-set to
contribute for all of us.

Feb 20, 2019, 6:15 AM by raahe...@gmail.com: