cooloutac:

The reason why I say privacy and anonymity are two diff things.  And way apart
from security. is For example if I log into a facebook .onion site.  Its still
my identity.  All that information about you is still being sold to ad
agencies.  Governments are still watching it.   The only benefit I can see, is
again,   people hiding their location for fear of their life or imprisonment.

You listed one of the more common Tor benefits in your own paragraph- many people also use it for every day browsing to avoid most of that commercial information gathering and resale.