January 5, 2020 3:14 AM, fiftyfourthparal...@gmail.com wrote:

>> However there's probably no way to fully automate it.
>
> As someone somewhat knowledgeable about tech, but without deep knowledge,
> this is annoying but
> manageable. Should someone write a "First Boot Checklist" for the wiki, if
> only to increase the
> accessibility of Qubes?

It would be helpful, sure. I'd also even be interested in outputs like lspci,
lsusb, dmesg, alsa-info.sh, /proc/cpuinfo, iommu_groups, xl demsg, pm_trace,
and so on for different machines. But then again, most people are just going to
test what they actually need and leave it at that. Probably only a small
minority of Qubes users even submit an HCL report, and even a smaller fraction
of them troubleshoot issues and update their reports. Fact is, testing and
troubleshooting can take a lot of time, effort, expertise, and sometimes
additional hardware. My HCL report for this machine is now almost six months in
the making, all told.

The HCL doc mentions some of the basics like video, networking, and sleep. Also
the remarks column of the HCL page is a great place to look for ideas. However,
I'd say if you can suspend and resume in the middle of a youtube video without
any noticeable problems, you've already hit all the features for 90% of use
cases. And keep in mind you can always add to your report later.