> I'm certainly no expert though.

I meant that you seem to be an expert in technology, maybe with a formal
background in some form of engineering. I didn't mean to say that you were
a Qubes expert, though three years of use and a year of in-depth tinkering
does sound like an expert qualification.

 I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help from the mailing list.

My shiny new laptop would've turned into a shiny new projectile if not for
the mailing list.

I seem to remember an FSF-approved ARM laptop made by some Chinese company
> with a funny name a long time ago that ran Debian or something.

I remember coming across something like that (memorable, since Chinese
laptop companies in the privacy scene are a rarity), but couldn't find any
trace of it on the FSF site. I did come across Pine64, though, which offers
cheap ARM laptops.

Even if there were ARM options, I don't know if the Qubes development
> community could really handle it.

I think the biggest obstacle for users is availability, as non-Intel/AMD
PCs must be shipped and exposed to the possibility of interdiction for
virtually all users. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd feel like my
laptop is tainted or just unclean if I didn't buy an off-the-shelf item.
Also, non-Intel/AMD Qubes would only serve a very select niche of the Qubes
community, which is already a very select niche. Maybe a good stepping
stone for enterprise products though (software + hardware offerings--the
Apple of privacy and security? One can dream).