On 1/5/20 11:30 PM, Claudia wrote:
I don't know much about PSP, or ME for that matter, but it seems to me you're
mostly screwed either way, so I figured I might as well save some money while
I'm at it. This was even before the recent Intel shit show.

Indeed. These management engines are ubiquitous, so I think we should try to answer the question: Can they be properly deactivated?

Given everything else, its possible the answer is 'no' for Intel (we already know this) and 'yes' for AMD.

Plus, I got a really good deal on this particular machine (so admittedly a bit
of an impulse buy). And I have to say, despite a lot of troubleshooting and a
few remaining glitches, it actually runs Qubes surprisingly well, all things
considered. But... yeah, kids, don't try this at home.

I tend to shy away from 'consumer' models, bc they almost always misconfigure advanced features like the IOMMU as the firmware isn't carefully managed. Dell describes Inspiron models as "Home and Home Office".

The Lenovo G505s I have is also consumer grade and can't easily run Qubes bc they stopped updating the firmware in 2015(!) and IOMMU is present but won't work. Only thing that will fix this is flashing it with Coreboot.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket