On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 09:15:19AM +0100, haaber wrote:
> On 3/25/20 9:08 AM, tsc.v...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi - I didn't see my laptop in the list so looked everything up. It
> > seems the Lenovo Ideapad 131 151KB supports everything but SSD. I assume
> > I would have to replace my internal hard drive with the SSD since an
> > external SSD would, I assume, get bottlenecked by any USB connection to
> > the motherboard. I need Qubes for only a few select simple tasks that
> > require few resources, so my question is - could I get by under these
> > conditions or is SSD considered absolutely necessary? Thanks for any advice!
>
> Hi qubes does work without ssd (my first installs did not have one). But
> speed, especially booting-times (xen & vm's) are 3-4 times longer. If
> you open a temporary vm every minute, that is annoying, but for 'normal'
> use no ssd is required to my best knowedge. Just a bit of patience :)
> Bernhard

Second this - you can indeed use HDD and Qubes will work fine. For what
you describe it will work well.
You wont need to *make* a cup of coffee while opening a new qube, but
perhaps *take a sip* .
A while back I posted comparison times between SSD and HDD, RAM - you'll
see that the HDD is slower but works

Incidentally, working off USB is (relatively) fine. I have a few sticks
including a live Qubes that runs in RAM and they all perform  fine. For
your use case dont exclude that.

unman