Thank you for your time and expertise; This time it connected, but failed
again.
In accordance with instructions to Upgrade Template In Place at
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/ ...
I created a new clone from Fedora-30-work (which has all the programs and
data I'd like to keep) called Fedora-31-work and set netVM to sys-firewall.
In the new template Fedora-31-work terminal I ran step 3, but this time
returned Curl error (35)
Apparently, it connected, but timed out on mirrors.fedoraproject.org. May I
again ask your advise? It shouldn't be because of my internet connection,
which is pretty good (fiber to the curb). Thanks again for your help.
Terminal transcript:

[user@fedora-31-work ~]$ sudo dnf clean all