OK, reported, some optimization attempts included:
https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/uTi3QHuhdy8

Also, I have some temptation to reimplement qubes-i3status as a Python
wrapper around the original i3status. We would probably also resolve some
other problems. For example, I had to fix reading of the battery status.

BTW, if you have ~25% CPU load, I guess you just have quad-core CPU (or
maybe dual-core with hyperthreading).

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'