Fabrizio Romano Genovese:

I installed qubes on a Dell XPS9310. I was using kernel 5.4.90 and sound
was working, but wi-fi did not. So I upgraded to kernel 5.10.13 and now I
have both wifi and sound not working :D

It seems that the sound issues are due to a problem with driver
sof-audio-pci.
In this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/Fa65-e8vqdM it
turns out another user was having a similar problem with a dell 9700, which
was apparently solved. Indeed in the thread it is said:

Audio works (with kernel 5.10 and attached kernel base-config patch  +
latest 1.6.1 sof-bin firmware https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin and
alsa-ucm-config files.   see
https://blog.fts.scot/2020/07/04/dell-xps-2020-how-to-get-audio-working-on-linux/
for alsa ucm config ).

Unfortunately, I am not technically skilled enough to really understand the
fix. Does it mean that I have to download kernel 5.10 (from were?), apply
the patch provided in the thread (how?), include firmware and config files
(how?) and then compile and install?
As you can see I don't really have a specific question, and I'm more in
search of a few clarifications to understand how to apply an apparently
already available solution. :)

Per https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/Fa65-e8vqdM, are you running Qubes 4.1? That might be the first place to start. It implements audio in a separate VM, which might automagically resolve the issue or at least make for a more easily implemented solution. In that case, you'll want your VM's kernel to be the latest, so in dom0 do sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-qubes-vm-latest (from memory). See if the audio driver loads in the audio VM. If not, it gets more complex.

You could convert it to an HVM which would allow you to recompile the kernel internal to the VM using standard Linux procedures- check documentation for the distribution you're using. If you didn't want to convert to HVM, I think you would have to build a kernel for dom0 first per https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes-users@googlegroups.com/msg10886.html, then package for VM usage with https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#installing-different-vm-kernel-based-on-dom0-kernel (note I haven't attempted this before).

--
- don't top post