On 22/12/14 04:02, Paul wrote:
And yet people apply critical monthly patches from Microsoft and Oracle all
the time without running them through dev and q/a.

Not on business critical servers. They may well apply them to general purpose desk top machines, but even then, if they don't have enough diversity, that can be a serious risk.

Also, what happens here is more akin to service pack, which is even more likely to get extensive lab testing.

I'm not sure if I've had a Microsoft update break anything in my non-critical system use, but I've certainly have had false positives from virus checker updates causing damage which wasted a hour or two on a my home system, but if it had affected an important component on a critical server, or even on all the company workstations, it would be disastrous for the company.

Many businesses operate local repositories of Microsoft updates, not just to reduce bandwidth.