Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de> wrote:
>> I don't want DHCP to modify my NTP settings, or to restart ntpd.
>> (of course the neat thing about the above solution is that it is not
>> required to restart ntpd.  in Debian, for example, ntpd is restarted when
>> a DHCP lease with changed ntp option is received)
>
> For standard deployments on a huge number of clients the DHCP way very
> much simplifies installation since you only have to configure the DHCP
> server.
>
> On the other hand, it would be good if there was a simple (easy-to-find)
> switch where you could disable such automatics.

Of course DHCP in itself is great, and I like it when devices (and maybe
workstations) automatically obtain the local timeserver address.
But what I DON'T like is when my carefully configured NTP server with
local refclock and configured secondary servers is turned into a client
of itself or another local system.

I agree that the enable/disable of this feature is often absent or very
hard to find.  Often you have to edit /etc/dhclient.conf or just
remove some script from /etc/dhclient.d but it is dangerous because
it may re-appear after a security update.
A simple "NTP_USE_DHCP=yes" that you can set to "no" when desired in
/etc/sysconfig/ntp or /etc/default/ntp would be so much better...