Is your Fedora machine using the bspm package with bspm::enable() in the .Rprofile (to install binary packages from the r2u repository)? bspm adds a hook by using trace() on install.packages, which makes it look like this.

My guess is that if you start with --vanilla *or* run bspm::disable() that you'll get back to the original-as-installed version.

Even if you have RStudio installed you could change the association in your GUI file browser to open R files in emacs by default ...

  cheers
   Ben Bolker

On 2024-03-21 4:40 a.m., Martin Maechler wrote:
Ben Bolker
     on Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:25:33 -0400 writes:

     >    Hmm, looks platform-specific.  Under Linux both RStudio
     > and external R console return

     > a0b52513622c41c11e3ef57c7a485767

     > for digest::digest(install.packages)

Well, platform-specific maybe, notably probably the *RStudio*-version
matters (for once).

One one of our public compute-machines running Linux Fedora 38
   (I don't have RStudio installed on my desktop as I loathe it
    badly to see RStudio start up when I click at an *R script in
    the OS gui file browser ... !:!P:!)(*&))
I definitely see

R.version.string
[1] "R version 4.3.3 Patched (2024-02-29 r86162)"
RStudio.Version()$version
[1] ‘2023.12.1.402’
install.packages
function (...)
.rs.callAs(name, hook, original, ...)
<environment: 0x55f4e5d82948>

No need for any hashes to see that install.packages is not the
one from R.

---
Concluding from your, Ben's, finding I'd guess that Posit
finally decided to move away from this very unfriendly idea of
sneakily replacing a base R function ?

That would actually give raise to some applause..

Martin

     > On 2024-03-20 1:20 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:

     >>> On MacOS, I see this:
     >>>
     >>>   > install.packages function (...)  .rs.callAs(name,
     >>> hook, original, ...)  <environment: 0x7fa7c72a6268>
     >>>
     >>> I get the same results as you from find().  I'm not sure
     >>> what RStudio is doing to give a different value for the
     >>> function than what find() sees.
     >>
     >> Turns out that RStudio replaces the install.packages
     >> object in the utils package.
     >>
     >> Duncan Murdoch
     >>

     >>> Duncan Murdoch

Error in library(jhBase) : there is no package called

Execution halted

Warning in install.packages(tar, type = "source", repos =

      installation of package

‘/Users/jharmse/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-RokuInc/jhBase_1.0.1.tar.gz’
had non-zero exit status

--
Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University