From: R-sig-Geo <r-sig-geo-boun...@r-project.org> on behalf of Kevin Zembower
via R-sig-Geo <r-sig-geo@r-project.org>
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2023 14:33
To: r-sig-geo@r-project.org
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] Calculating median age for a group of US census blocks?

Hello, all,

I'd like to obtain the median age for a population in a specific group
of US Decennial census blocks. Here's an example of the problem:

## Example of calculating median age of population in census blocks.
library(tidyverse)
library(tidycensus)

counts <- get_decennial(
     geography = "block",
     state = "MD",
     county = "Baltimore city",
     table = "P1",
     year = 2020,
     sumfile = "dhc") %>%
     mutate(NAME = NULL) %>%
     filter(substr(GEOID, 6, 11) == "271101" &
            substr(GEOID, 12, 15) %in% c(3000, 3001, 3002)
            )

ages <- get_decennial(
     geography = "block",
     state = "MD",
     county = "Baltimore city",
     table = "P13",
     year = 2020,
     sumfile = "dhc") %>%
     mutate(NAME = NULL) %>%
     filter(substr(GEOID, 6, 11) == "271101" &
            substr(GEOID, 12, 15) %in% c(3000, 3001, 3002)
            )

I have two questions:

1. Is it mathematically valid to multiply the population of a block by
the median age of that block (in other words, assign the median age to
each member of a block), then calculate the median of those numbers for
a group of blocks?

2. Is raw data on the ages of individuals available anywhere else in the
census data? I can find tables such as P12, that breaks down the
population by age ranges or bins, but can't find specific data of counts
per age in years.

Thanks for your advice and help.

-Kevin