Dr. Snow, thanks so much for your response to my question.

I think I'm going to stick with the lower- and upper-bounds method I
described, even though it gives a wider range for the median age than
other methods. I read the vignette for 'survival' as well at the
chapters on survival from MASS and another book I have, and couldn't
make heads or tails of it, much less how to apply it to this question.
In the unlikely event of someone asking me to explain or defend my
conclusions on median age for my neighborhood population, I would be
lost about survival statistics, but could manage, with numerous hand-
waves, to explain my method. I'm an old, retired guy who thinks
statistics are fun, not someone with any kind of professional training
or credentials.

Thank you, again, for your thoughtful and thorough response. I
appreciate your help.

-Kevin