Hi Chris.

For part (1) if you want Robinson-Foulds distance (aka. symmetric distance) you could use multiRF in phytools (http://blog.phytools.org/2013/09/getting-robinson-foulds-distances-for.html) or RF.dist in phangorn, which I believe can now handle multiple trees & is probably significantly faster. You could also try Rtreedist(...,method="symmetric") from Rphylip, which requires that you first install Felsenstein's PHYLIP package.

For part (2) there are a variety of options for batching model-based statistical phylogeny estimation across a set of trees. If you want to do it from within R, just create a list of your alignments (objects of class DNAbin). Then you could, for instance, do the following using phangorn:

foo<-function(x){
data<-as.phyDat(x)
obj<-pml(rtree(n=length(data),tip.label=names(data)),data,k=4)
fit<-optim.pml(obj,optNni=TRUE,opbBf=TRUE,optQ=TRUE,optGamma=TRUE,optEdge=TRUE)
fit$tree
}
MLtrees<-lapply(X,foo)

in which X is your list of alignments. (This is just an example & you probably need to tweak this as it is untested.)

You could also call DNAML in the PHYLIP package using Rphylip. In this case it would look something like this:

MLtrees<-lapply(X,Rdnaml,speedier=TRUE,global=FALSE) # for example

although in this case the model parameters are not optimized.

Finally, it is possible to call RAxML and mrbayes from R using phyloch. You will have to consult the documentation pages of phyloch (http://www.christophheibl.de/Rpackages.html) to see how to do that, or you could refer to my very basic tutorial here: http://www.phytools.org/mpma/Exercise_7.1/

Good luck.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org