Hi Shinichi,

Thanks so much for the prompt and detailed response.  I should've reread
some of that literature before writing to the list-serv.

So, what I am gathering from your answer is that it is unnecessary to
co-estimate lambda and transform the tree's branch lengths by it, since
lambda is implicitly always co-estimated.  Hence if var(phylo) is
inferred to be very small in absolute value and/or very small in
proportion to the total random effect + residual variance, then lambda
would be very close to zero.

In any case, I'll have to do some reading to understand why the branch
length transformation using lambda (or kappa or delta for that matter)
that is done in the ML context isn't necessary in the Bayesian context
in MCMCglmm.  Perhaps it's something related to a different
parameterization that makes it more computationally tractable in ML,
i.e. that optimizing lambda (to infer how much variance is accounted for
by the phylogeny) is easier than optimizing var(phylo) while also
optimizing var(residuals) and the other random effects.  Maybe
optimizing lambda isn't computationally easier, but simply a different
way to achieve the same goal?

Thanks again,
Dan.