Just to clarify, off-list discussion with Graham reveals (after some
confusion on my part) that if the simple format option is used in sumt
in MrBayes, then ape's read.nexus will natively read the posterior
probability values as node-labels. Which is interesting and I had not
come across that information previously.

Graham's comment is not in reference to the functioning of read.annotated.nexus.

Cheers,
-Dave