AFAIK almost any modern browser can render SVG natively - this is not the case
for PDF, which will often require a plug-in from adobe.
I don’t think I’ve seen this before, but you could probably generate
web-friendly vector tree figures using SVG - there are options to explore this
in adobe illustrator if you have it.

Jake

> On Mar 8, 2015, at 12:06 PM, Jonas Eberle <eberle.jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eike,
>
> I didn't intend to print the tree. I think a pdf is the most convenient
> format for publishing since nearly everybody can easily open it on every
> operating system and it always looks the same. I've never tried to open a
> large tree in an svg in a browser. Maybe that's fine, too.
>
> All the best,
> Jonas

Jacob Berv

Ph.D. Student