From: Alejandro Gonzalez Voyer [alejandro.gonza...@iecologia.unam.mx]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 8:47 AM
To: Theodore Garland Jr
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] Non-ultrametric tree PGLS

Hi Sergio,

I would add to Ted’s reply that you are not only considering alternative
statistical models but that the evolutionary assumptions from the models you
are fitting also differ, and you need to keep this in mind when comparing
models. Comparison of AICs or any other estimate of goodness of fit must also
involve careful consideration of the assumptions of the models you are
comparing. In your particular case, the tree with branch lengths set to equal
values (all branch lengths = 1) implies different amount of time to evolve for
each of your species (in other words the expected variances - diagonal terms in
the variance-covariance matrix - differ between the species), and thus you
should consider whether such an assumption makes biological sense in your
system.

Cheers

Alejandro
Dr Alejandro Gonzalez Voyer

Laboratorio de Conducta Animal
Instituto de Ecología
Circuito Exterior S/N
Ciudad Universitaria
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
México, D.F.
04510
México

Tel: +52 55 5622 9044
E-mail:
alejandro.gonza...@iecologia.unam.mx<mailto:alejandro.gonza...@iecologia.unam.mx>

El 14/05/2015, a las 10:39, Theodore Garland Jr