Thank you, Liam!

Cheers,
Ted

From: Liam J. Revell [liam.rev...@umb.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:24 AM
To: Theodore Garland Jr; Sergio Ferreira Cardoso; R phylo mailing list mailing
list
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] phyres function R package caper

Hi all.

To the original question, you should be able to get these values first
using gls(...,correlation=corBrownian(...)) in nlme & then applying
residuals to the fitted model returned by gls. For instance, for data
frame X with variables x & y, and ultrametric phylogeny tree, you might
compute:

library(ape)
library(nlme)
fit<-gls(y~x,data=X,correlation=corBrownian(1,tree))
residuals(fit)

(phytools also has a function for this, phyl.resid, but it does exactly
the same thing as the code above, and thus there is really no reason to
prefer that function - except perhaps to cross-check your result for
errors.)

With regards to Ted's comment, indeed these are different quantities.
Though the fitted coefficients from a contrasts regression should be the
same as above, the residuals will be different (and there will be one
fewer of them, besides). These residuals, from the contrasts regression,
should be phylogenetically independent; however they are not longer
associated with species, but with 'contrasts' or nodes in the tree. To
obtain these residuals from a contrasts regression you should be able to
do something like:

X<-X[tree$tip.label,] ## precautionary
pic.x<-pic(X[,"x"],tree)
pic.y<-pic(X[,"y"],tree)
fit<-lm(pic.y~pic.x-1)
residuals(fit)

There is no particular reason to prefer one set of quantities over the
other - it just depends on what subsequent analyses are intended. In the
former case, the residuals are associated with species - but these
residuals consequently will be phylogenetically correlated & thus the
tree needs to be taken into consideration in any subsequent analysis.
The latter residuals are phylogenetically independent, but no longer
associated with species. (I hate to cite myself, but this is discussed
in my paper Revell 2009; Evolution.)

I hope this is of some help.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org