Hi Eric,

The thing is that it becomes very cumbersome to write user-friendly software
with generalized simulation routines to allow various (unlimited?) ad hoc
changes in rates of trait evolution, selection regimes (e.g., OU), rates of
speciation, etc.  so, the expedient approach is often called for.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=iSSbrhwAAAAJ

Director, UCR Institute for the Development of Educational Applications

Editor in Chief, Physiological and Biochemical Zoology

Fail Lab: Episode One
http://testtube.com/faillab/zoochosis-episode-one-evolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0msBWyTzU0