Lev,

This is easy, if the newick strings are structured the same so that
the resulting edge matrix and tip labels are identical. Here's a
worked example:

```
library(ape)

# with edge lengths
newick1<-"(Homo:30,(Echinus:18,(Cephalodiscus:12,(Rhabdopleura:8,(Dictyonema:1,(Rhabdinopora:1,Dicellograptus:3):1):1):4):4):10);"

# with node names
newick2<-"(Homo,(Echinus,(Cephalodiscus,(Rhabdopleura,(Dictyonema,(Rhabdinopora,Dicellograptus)Graptoloida)Eugraptolithina)Graptolithina)Pterobranchia)Ambulacraria)Deuterostomia;"

# convert newick strings to phylo objects

tree1<-read.tree(text=newick1)
plot(tree1)

tree2<-read.tree(text=newick2)
plot(tree2)
nodelabels(tree2$node.label)

# combine

if(identical(tree1$edge,tree2$edge) &
identical(tree1$tip.label,tree2$tip.label)){
    tree3<-tree1
    tree3$node.label<-tree2$node.label
    }

plot(tree3)
nodelabels(tree3$node.label)
```

If $edge and $tip.label are not identical, then this is a somewhat
more complex issue.

Cheers,
-Dave

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Yampolsky, Lev <yampo...@mail.etsu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Thank you very much for your help, it’s all clear now. (I got way more
> than I asked for, for example, my trees include only extant taxa). And
> yes, branching.times() and getBtimes() return exact same numbers of
> course, I just didn’t understand ow indexing works.
>
> Next question, a very simple one again.
>
> I have two newick trees, identical topology. In one I have branch lengths,
> in the other I have node names. I would like a tree with both. How do I do
> this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Lev Yampolsky
>
> Professor
> Department of Biological Sciences
> East Tennessee State University
> Box 70703
> Johnson City TN 37614-1710
> Cell 423-676-7489
> Office/lab 423-439-4359
> Fax        423-439-5958
>

> On 1/13/16, 4:20 AM, "Emmanuel Paradis" <emmanuel.para...@ird.fr> wrote:
>
>>To pile a little bit more after David's message, ape has the function
>>ltt.plot.coords which does the same thing than phytools::ltt but with
>>different options, including 'tol' which specifies the tolerance for
>>considering a tree as ultrametric or not.
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>Emmanuel
>>
>>Le 13/01/2016 03:29, Liam J. Revell a écrit :
>>> Hi Lev.
>>>
>>> You could also look at ltt in phytools. The object returned has the time
>>> of all the events on the tree - including the end of lineages that go
>>> extinct before the present. To access these, you can do:
>>>
>>> obj<-ltt(tree,plot=FALSE)
>>> obj$times
>>> obj$ltt
>>>
>>> & to see how these are associated with events, you can do:
>>>
>>> plot(obj,show.tree=TRUE)
>>>
>>> All the best, Liam
>>>
>>> Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
>>> University of Massachusetts Boston
>>> web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
>>> email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
>>> blog: http://blog.phytools.org

David W. Bapst, PhD
Adjunct Asst. Professor, Geology and Geol. Eng.
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
501 E. St. Joseph
Rapid City, SD 57701

http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~dbapst/
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/paleotree/index.html