These descriptive statistics (e.g., K of Blomberg et al. 2003) and related
tests do not require normality of the data under analysis.  However, your
results may be highly dependent on the type of transform you use (or do not
use), so all results must be considered in the context of that transform.  In
general, I'd be inclined to apply some sort of "sensible" transform, such as
log, if I were working with a large number of species that varied widely, such
as body masses of mice to elephants.  Check the Blomberg et al. (2003) paper
for a bit more discussion about this, and to see what they did for the various
traits studied.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=iSSbrhwAAAAJ

Director, UCR Institute for the Development of Educational Applications

Editor in Chief, Physiological and Biochemical Zoology

Fail Lab: Episode One
http://testtube.com/faillab/zoochosis-episode-one-evolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0msBWyTzU0