Hi Rafael,

Your method would underestimate the error associated with values derived from
single specimens because those values would have the highest errors, not
average errors.
What I have done in such cases is to estimate an average standard deviation
across species and use that average standard deviation as the standard error of
the species with single specimens.
I don't know of a formal description of this solution but it is mentioned in
one of my papers: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/279/1733/1567

Best,

Santiago

Research Associate