Hey,

Just for the record. I just found two alternatives that seem to be in
active development, nexml (www.nexml.org) and RecPhyloXML (
http://phylariane.univ-lyon1.fr/recphyloxml/). nexml is supported by
rOpenSci (https://github.com/ropensci/RNeXML), and both have C++/phython
APIs that can be useful for R package development.

I still may try to get something done on PhyloXML since jsPhyloSVG, which
I'm working on now https://uscbiostats.github.io/jsPhyloSVG/, only supports
annotations in PhyloXML (it does support nexml trees, but I don't think it
support annotations).

Best,

George G. Vega Yon
+1 (626) 381 8171 <(626)%20381-8171>