That sounds pretty different from doing ancestral reconstruction with some
fossil data, and hoping the resulting node estimates will reflect reality,
because fossil data is now involved. Look, I think every method has its
uses; I'm just railing against the idea that the concerns of any particular
method go away by tapping into the fossil record.

Personally I have a work-in-progess myself that involves parsimony
ancestral state reconstruction of some very slow-evolving discrete traits
in a fossil-rich group. I think in that particular case, I can defend my
approach, but I don't think it'd be applicable in many other cases, even
with other fossil-rich groups.

Cheers,
-Dave

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Jacob Berv <jakeberv.r.sig.ph...@gmail.com