Hi list,

I second Jon's suggestion for using phylogenetic mixed model. This seems to be
the closest to what Nicolay is after.

Yet another option is "SLOUCH" package in R, which can handle within-species
variation while performing phylogenetic corrections. Here are some example
codes.

https://kopperud.github.io/slouch/articles/introduction.html
<https://kopperud.github.io/slouch/articles/introduction.html>

Hope you will find a suitable solution from one of those.

Best,
Masahito