Hi,

I’m interested in using the OUCH package to estimate BM and OU parameters for a
specific trait among many different trees.
My goal is to determined which model is the most suitable for each tree,
applying likelihood ratio test.

As I’m a new user in R when it comes to phylogenetic analysis, I started by
running the documentation example (Hansen, documentation page 11) and was
surprised to see that the loglikelihood was a positive number

BM:
$call
brown(data = otd[c("tarsusL", "beakD")], tree = ot)

$sigma.squared
           [,1]       [,2]
[1,] 0.02878091 0.08897504
[2,] 0.08897504 0.43711838

$theta
$theta$tarsusL
[1] 3.020419

$theta$beakD
[1] 1.826695

$loglik
[1] 9.90115

As this number is crucial for further analysis - Is this a transformation of
the resulting log likelihood? (e.g. -2 * log(L) as described in the paper) or
am I missing something here..?

In addition I have another issue, I have a tree constructed of ~400 viral
genomes and their corresponding trait values. When I’m running the
documentation script with my own data (in the same format)
I get the following error:
Error in solve.default(v, e) :
  system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number = 1.59061e-17

I guess it says that my variance covariance matrix is not inversable, hence I
manually tried to adjust the retol parameter in the Hansen function in order to
make it work (however I’ll need to second guess my results?), but I still get
the same error.
Code example:
h1 <- hansen(
+     tree=ot,
+     data=otd[c("k5")],
+     regimes=otd["regimes"],
+     fit=TRUE,
+     sqrt.alpha=1,
+     sigma=1,
+     maxit=500000,
+     reltol=1e-20,
+     method="Nelder-Mead"
+ )

I’ll be thankful for any advice or answer,
Danielle