I'll second Brian's self-citation. O'Meara et al. 2006 is I think one of
the best introductions to the phylogenetic covariance matrix, and I often
direct students to it.

Brian's point about the relationship between observed and expected
covariance is illustrated here in a brief note I wrote up for students this
spring:

https://github.com/andrew-hipp/PCM-2018/blob/master/R-tutorials/2018-PCM-covarianceMatrixRuminations.ipynb

It might be helpful, or it might not. I hope so!

Take care,
Andrew

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Brian O'Meara <omeara.br...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, Agus. The variance-covariance matrix comes from the tree and the
> evolutionary model, not the data. Each entry between taxa A and B in the
> VCV is how much covariance I should expect between data for taxa A and B
> simulated up that tree using that model. I don't want to be *that guy*, but
> O'Meara et al. (2006)
> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0014-3820.2006.tb01171.x has
> a fairly accessible explanation of this (largely b/c I was just learning
> about VCVs when working on that paper). Hansen and Martins (1996)
> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1558-5646.1996.tb03914.x
> have
> a much more detailed description of how you get these covariance matrices
> from microevolutionary processes.
>
> Typically, ape::vcv() is how you get a variance covariance for a phylogeny,
> assuming Brownian motion and no measurement error. It just basically takes
> the history two taxa share to create the covariance (or variance, if the
> two taxa are the same taxon). A different approach, which seems to be what
> you're doing, would be to simulate up a tree many times, and then for each
> pair of taxa (including the pair of a taxon with itself, the diagonal of
> the VCV), calculate the covariance. These approaches should get the same
> results, though the shared history on the tree approach is faster.
>
> Best,
> Brian

> Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
> <http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
> <http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
> <http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>
>
> Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
> Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
>

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM Agus Camacho <agus.cama...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear list users,
> >
> > I am trying to make an easy R demonstration to teach the
> > variance-covariance matrix to students. However, After consulting the
> > internet and books, I found myself facing three difficulties to
> understand
> > the math and code behind this important matrix. As this list is answered
> by
> > several authors of books of phylocomp methods, thought this might make an
> > useful general discussion.
> >
> > Here we go,
> >
> > 1) I dont know how to generate a phyloVCV matrix in R (Liams kindly
> > described some options here
> > <
> > http://blog.phytools.org/2013/12/three-different-ways-to-
> calculate-among.html
> > >
> > but I cannot tell for sure what is X made of. It would seem a dataframe
> of
> > some variables measured across species. But then, I get errors when I
> > write:
> >
> >  tree <- pbtree(n = 10, scale = 1)
> >  tree$tip.label <- sprintf("sp%s",seq(1:n))
> [...]

Andrew Hipp, PhD
Senior Scientist in Plant Systematics and Herbarium Curator, The Morton
Arboretum
Lecturer, Committee on Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago

The Morton Arboretum
4100 Illinois Route 53 / Lisle IL 60532-1293 / USA
+1 630 725 2094

Lab: http://systematics.mortonarb.org/lab
Hebarium data: http://vplants.org
U of Chicago, CEB: http://evbio.uchicago.edu/