I agree. Ted and Tony's paper shows exactly how to get phylogenetically informed predictions for new species, conditional on the values for the explanatory variables and the phylogenetic relationship of the "new" species to the rest of the species in the dataset. It is there in the Appendices. (I really love this paper!) Take-home message: You can either re-root the tree to predict the value for the new species at the root in an independent contrasts situation (Appendix A), or you can use GLS if you know the phylogenetic relationships of the new species with the old. (Appendix B). Of course, PIC and GLS are equivalent under a Brownian motion model of evolution (Blomberg et al 2012 https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syr118)

Cheers,

Simone.