Sam TH wrote:
> In which version of the Scheme report did first class environments
> appear?  Fexprs?

None but you can see the power of (a weaker variation on the proposed)
FEXPRs in SCM.   You can get a hint of the potential of environments
from MIT Scheme.

Honestly, entering the Scheme scene around R3 or R4 I had the impression
that, by the time of something like R6, things would have gone in these
fairly
obvious directions.

I'm really quite struck, by the way, at how Scheme has languished
in the real-world HLL wars, losing to such less disciplined efforts like
Python, Lua, Ruby, etc....   all of which seem to have in common (and
that has a big impact on the kinds of innovation that drives them) that
they have prototype-based object systems.   That those are pragmatically
identifiable as first-class mutable environments in Scheme, and that
such a feature can also be arrived at in independent ways, suggests to
me it is a very natural direction for the language to take.

It's ironic that we've recently seen (on c.l.s.) a long thread debating
the exact meanings of terms like JIT compilation, incremental
compilation, etc......    Had Scheme been liberalized in the direction
of FEXPRs and first class environments a few years back, by now,
there'd be a lot of interesting R&D in on-line incremental compilation
of Scheme.

-t