Aaron W. Hsu Scripsit:

> I think we are past this. We should not concern ourselves with hacks
> to improve the performance of implementations that do not care about
> performance.

Agreed, but shouldn't we care about the efficiency of the most general case?

> If performance is important, then use one of the already
> useful and good Scheme implementations out there that produce fast
> code. If you do not care about speed, feel free to use a naive
> implementation, but do not expect it to be fast.

Sorry, I don't understand; as the issue is about what r7rs should be, isn't it.

> It should be self-evident that "register" style hacks are not good style
> or useful in Scheme, and we should not encode them into the standard.

Agreed, the issue is: can the standard be defined such that most can have
their cake, while not spoiling the other courses of the dinner in the process.

> Again, if you care about performance at all, then you should not use
> an implementation that does not care about performance. It will not scale.

As compliant implementations are dependent on standards is the question at
hand; the efficiency of hacks of prior standards don't seem particularly
relevant
to the discussion, but admittedly I simply don't understand your attempted
point.