Michael Sperber scripsit:

> As far as I can see, the paragraph does not say anything about
> non-real numbers.

Not specifically, no.  But presumably they are included in the requirement
to provide a tower; that is, a system that provides only real numbers
(and raises an exception of type &implementation-restriction when asked
to compute any non-real number) is not conformant.

> Also, I don't know what you mean by "arbitrarily".

For example, would an implementation that can represent only a single
non-real number, such as +i, be technically conformant?

> An implementation is certainly free to restrict the ranges of non-real
> numbers, however.  For example, complex numbers with flonum parts were
> (intended to be) within what the report says.

Is an implementation that has no way to represent an exact non-real
number conformant?

> Could you parenthesize this?  I assume you mean "bless having (exact
> (or some exact) but not inexact non-real numbers)".

That is what I meant, yes.

> Since R6RS explicitly describes a tower, every inexact real is also a
> complex number, so I think the answer is no.

If an implementation may restrict the range of inexact numbers, it seems
to me that technically it may restrict the range to no inexact numbers
whatsoever.  Is that conformant?  If not, is it technically conformant
to have just one inexact number, say 0.0?

I ask these questions not because I think such hypothetical semi-broken
implementations matter, but to help determine how (if at all) R7RS-large
should tighten the requirements on implementations.  There is currently
consensus to require bignums and ratios, as R6RS does, but no consensus on
what to require about exact and inexact non-real numbers.  In particular,
there are committee members who want to "do what R6RS does", but that
requires being able to determine what R6RS actually does require.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        co...@ccil.org
They do not preach that their God will rouse them