I've implemented three programmers' text editors in days gone by, two of which
were inspired by Emacs.  It's easy to improve on Emacs' architecture and
implementation but that just guarantees that the new improved editor will
languish in obscurity since it doesn't have the momentum of the official Emacs.
 An editor would have to be truly extraordinary (including it's collection of
extensions) in order to win power users away from Gnu Emacs.  Like many
long-term Emacs users, I'm unwilling to give up its power and convenience
despite having to hold my nose a lot!

If a Free Software reimplementation was fully compatible with Gnu Emacs at the
Emacs Lisp level, it could also provide a superior architecture underneath for
new code written nicer Racket languages.  Unless and until the new editor wins
over most of the users of the existing Gnu Emacs, it is critical to maintain
backwards compatibility for traditional Emacs Lisp and the traditional API.

Implementing Emacs Lisp presents a possibly interesting challenge to Racket's
language framework.  It may help that Emacs Lisp now supports lexical binding
clearly signalled on a per-module basis.

_Greg