No question, this would be a challenging project.

Do a clean room fresh implementation or provide full Emacs Lisp compatibility?
Would it make sense to consider doing a strict subset of Emacs Lisp, with
sufficiently flexibility to allow popular extensions run while leaving others
behind?

Common Lisp tried a clean room approach a long time but unfortunately it ended
up languishing. They had some very interesting ideas based on an interface
framework that I understand were heavily inspired by Geneva Symbolics Dynamic
Windows.

Their attempt, Climacs https://common-lisp.net/project/climacs/ which was based
on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_Interface_Manager

>From what I've seen so far, it appears they generalized the buffer idea to
>handle arbitrary data, both text and graphics in a more systematic way. They
>had an example of browsing a file system with all the file icons and clickable
>expandable nodes right within the buffers.

Worth it checking to see if their ideas can be reused.