Thank you all!

I'm still getting my head around how modern (client side)web applications
are developed and work on the users browser - the last web application I
worked on was perl and fast-cgi.

My understanding of modern web apps is
a) you are served a base (x?)HTML(5?) page and JavaScript by the webserver
b) the JavaScript then populates the DOM with any dynamic elements
c) the JavaScript responds user events and  polls the server, updating the
DOM accordingly

I think I can do JavaScript side with RacketScript or Urlang* combined with
HTML without resorting to one of the web frameworks.  I'll try a
Frankenstein monster combining 'Instaweb with space invaders  to see if I
can serve JavaScript  and go from there.

 Thanks again for the kind responses,
Stephen

* I'm undecided because I only know a little js, and know nothing about
nodejs