Matthias Felleisen wrote on 01/22/2017 07:07 PM:
It’s not TCO, it’s PITCH (proper implementation of tail calls) — there is no
optimization going on :-)

As usual, Matthias is correct.

As I was typing the original sentence, I had the thought "TCO isn't the right term", but I was lazy or trying to suppress my novella tendencies, so hit Send. "TCO" might still be a good search term to complement "proper", for anyone who wants to read up on the evolution of thinking, from back when algorithm implementation was emphasized more. It's among developer skills that sometimes are very important, but are currently undervalued, when most of the software development industry chatter we hear concerns the large volume of commodity clerical work for which employers are currently paying good wages.