At Sat, 24 Nov 2018 19:39:19 -0500, Philip McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 5:44 PM George Neuner <gneun...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Multiple (identical) server instances running on the same machine can
> > listen for connections on the same network port - an incoming client call
> > will be connected to only one of them.  You only need to use different
> > ports when services are not interchangeable [i.e. it matters which one you
> > are talking to].
> >
> > [...]
>
> I didn't know this, and it sounds useful! Unfortunately, this functionality
> doesn't currently seem to be exposed at the Racket level. [...]
>
> It looks like the `reuse?` argument to `tcp-listen` corresponds to
> `SO_REUSEADDR` rather than `SO_REUSEPORT`. [...]
>
> It seems like this might be a useful feature in Racket, but I'm not sure of
> what would be needed to expose it in a good way.

An alternative to exposing `SO_REUSEPORT` would be to allow TCP
listeners to be sent across place channels, so multiple places in same
Racket process could accept connections from the same listener. That
would only work for place-based parallelism, but it would be portable
and straightforward to implement --- and I'm happy to add it if anyone
would find that capability useful.